Thankfulness

If the only prayer you ever say is thank you, that will be enough.
~ Meister Eckhart

Yesterday, I sent out an email to all of my family and friends who have supported me through all of my (sometimes whacky) decisions through the years. I sent them the link to this blog and a little blurb about my reasons for starting it (I've included the original email below for anyone who would like to read it).

Immediately - and I do mean immediately - my inbox was flooded with encouraging, supportive, and loving emails. My friends and family sent me encouragement; people I never thought I would touch shared stories of their struggles; people opened up. And I guess that's what happens when you open up and extend your hand - everyone in your life will reach out to hold it.

You know how, sometimes, you feel like you need a release? Something that will empty you so you can be filled again? Well, I was so inundated with love that I cried. This was a cry I have been wanting to cry for a long time. But when you're not living your best life for so long, you start to go numb. It starts to move up your body, slowly, stealthily, until all of a sudden, you have no emotions left. And that's what happened to me. I was a zombie. All I had in me was blame, and anger, and misery, and grief - but even all of those were empty. So I was empty.

But an empty cup can be filled, if you let it. An empty cup has hope.
I had hope. And I finally see that my cup is (and always was) overflowing.

I forgot, like we often do, that there is a whole world of people out there who are rooting for me. Who love me for me, miss my presence, support me in my choices, and want me to be my best me for me. And I am so grateful for everyone in my life.

And though this is not the only prayer I will ever say, I want to tell everyone who has loved me:
Thank You. 

What are you thankful for? Extend your hand to me; I promise, I will hold it.

------------

Family and friends,

After a long (and painful) hiatus from writing, I have finally decided to pick up my pen (or keyboard) again. I've started up a new blog called Loving Imperfection and I hope for it to be as much an inspiration for you to read as it is for me to write. At the end of every blog post, I submit a question to you for consideration. If you're inclined to (and I sincerely hope you are), you can respond with your thoughts in the comments section after the post. I'm hoping to make this a community of inspiration and of working together towards being our best self.

Why start something new at the end of the year? Well, I chose December to start this blog, instead of the customary January for a new beginning, because it is in the darkness of endings that we most need to see the light. This blog is my light, and I hope it will be yours, too.

Here's to new beginnings just when we think we've reached the end.

Love,

Rachna

No comments:

Post a Comment